No. of ingredients: 10
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 4 green bell peppers/capsicums
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (soft; divided)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 (7 1/2-ounce) can tuna (flaked)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Optional: shredded cheddar, Swiss, or Parmesan cheese
How to prepare:
- Gather the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cut the bell peppers in half vertically and remove the stem, seeds, and white membrane.
- Boil the pepper shells in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onion, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, beaten egg, milk, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and tuna.
- Fill the pepper shells with the bread crumb mixture.
- Mix the melted butter with the remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs; sprinkle over stuffed peppers. Place in a shallow baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. If desired, top with shredded cheese 5 minutes before the peppers are finished baking.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can use which type of bell pepper/capsicum you prefer: orange, red or yellow.
- Better use freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice. The bottled versions are usually sweetened.
- You can extract about 3 tablespoons of juice from one average lemon and you only need 1 for the filling. Cut the lemon into wedges and serve the extra ones on the side and have your guest garnish their dish with extra lemon juice if they want.